Amazing customer experiences are critical to brand differentiation and long-term business value. Which explains why Service Design is such a booming field, adopted by leading organisations, such as Apple, Google, Uber or Disney.
This course is ideal if you’re curious about this in-demand discipline and want to quench your curiosity by learning its fundamentals.
Learn on your terms:
- Fully flexible and self-paced course
- Learn at your own pace, anytime, anywhere
- Browse material on our engaging learning platform
- Optional reading and activities to cement your learning
Packed with industry-relevant content:
- 30 hours of content and activities
- Dynamic and engaging content, full of rich media assets
- Premium material built in-house by experts
- Receive an industry-recognised Certificate of Completion
The best way to learn is by doing:
- Work on various activities throughout the course
- Create Service Design artefacts
- Start building your portfolio
It will take you approximately 30 hours to complete the topics, activities, and portfolio project preparation.
What you'll learn
Learn what Service Design is and how it is implemented in businesses across various industries. Understand the impact of Service Design on a product or service, and how it differs from User Experience (UX) Design.
Understand the design research process and employ techniques that Service Designers use to explore the problem space. Learn to plan, facilitate, and analyse research to form actionable insights.
- Research techniques
- User journey
- Jobs To Be Done
- A current state (as is) service blueprint
Translate research and insights into concept ideation, prioritisation, and representation of a service design solution. Stimulate your creativity through a number of techniques such as:
- Workshop facilitation
- Crazy 8s
- Persona and affinity mapping
Apply critical analysis techniques Service Designers employ to assess and guide an organisation in its competitive landscape. Learn how to transform data into meaningful insights, utilising rational or emotional synthesis to different use cases and scenarios.
- Customer maps and journeys
- Problem reframing
- Solution sorting
- The 5 Ps
Develop a service prototype from story maps, user journeys, and blueprints to construct a Minimum Viable Service (MVS). Test critical assumptions with your MVS and get valuable feedback to improve your service solution.
- Minimum Viable Service (MVS)
- Future state Service Blueprint
Learn about the importance of portfolios for Service Designers, how to create one and how to communicate your design narrative and approach.
Curate your final artefacts from the course activities to demonstrate your service design knowledge and skills. Your mentor will review it and provide structured feedback.
Who this course is for
There are no prerequisites required for this course. It is ideal for:
- Students who want to learn the basics of Service Design concepts, frameworks and tools.
- Students interested in a fully flexible short-course, where they can learn independently and at their own pace.
Earn a digital credential
We partner with by Credly to deliver digital credentials for our graduates. Digital credentials are a graphical representation of your skills, combined with a description of the knowledge and activities it took to earn them.
Digital badges can be used in email signatures or digital resumes, and on social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Our students' success stories
Academy Xi scored 5 out of 5, as rated by our students.
“I now have the confidence and tools to identify problems”
I’ve always sought to understand people. By studying Service Design, I now have the confidence and tools to identify problems in a more structured manner. The richer the information, the easier it is to meet a person’s needs.
“I’ve really enjoyed the video content and insightful reading”
The onboarding experience was easy and the team were super helpful. Academy Xi is always responsive and I’ve really enjoyed the video content and insightful reading recommendations. I’m really excited for what’s to come!