The difference between Service Design, UX & CX
Service Design is the design of the customer journey and the systems, people (the roles that people fill), and the processes that support it.
UX is a subset within SD, and largely focuses on a customer’s interactions with digital assets such as a website or app, throughout the customer journey.
CX is about changing the economic distinction of a business from that of a commodity, good, or service to an experience. As such, the lens with which we are applying to CX means that Service Design sits as a crucial set of layers within a Customer Experience, but does not include crucial elements such as brand strategy, product ownership, or business strategy.
Enhance your existing expertise and boost your CV with in-demand Customer Experience (CX) skills.
The right CX strategies ensure products and services are delivered in the right way, separating a business from the competition and increasing the customer lifetime value (CLV).
With 44% of businesses mainly looking to differentiate in the next 5 years through new CX approaches, an industry skills gap is growing. This course leaves graduates equipped to help deliver positive long-term customer experiences.
- 60-80 hours of learning with 6 months’ access
- Get the complete CX toolkit
- Premium material built in-house by experts
The best way to learn is by doing:
- Get practical experience that you can use immediately in your job
- Work on various activities throughout the course
- Create a compelling set of CX artefacts
- Build your portfolio on a project of your choice
Study at your own pace:
- Have the freedom to plan and build your development around life’s other commitments
- With no classes or set deadlines, this course is perfect if you are juggling study with a full-time job
- Complete the course on a schedule that’s convenient for you – within a few weeks, or over the full six months
Expert guidance and support:
- Though you’ll go through the course at your own pace, you’ll never be alone
- Book up to twelve 1:1 sessions with your subject matter Xi Expert and discuss course material, get personalised feedback and consult over project decisions
- Get support from a Study Coach who will help you plan your progress, keep motivated and answer any study-related questions
Easy-to-use online learning platform:
- Access course content through our easy to use online learning platform, powered by NovoEd
- It makes learning interactive and engaging, with content designed to read like a story for a seamless experience
- Your online campus also makes it possible to connect with, and learn from, other students who may be studying the course
Earn trusted and recognised credentials:
- Get a Certificate of Completion to validate your competencies and skills in Customer Experience
- Add an industry trusted digital credential to your LinkedIn profile
Customer Experience course timeframe
You’ll have 6 months access to all course materials, enabling you to study at your own pace. Complete the course in a few weeks, or over the full 6 months – it’s up to you.
The course content takes approximately 60-80 hours. This timeframe includes working through the learning materials, tackling the course activities, finishing your assessments, creating and presenting your final project, and communicating with your Xi Expert.
What you'll learn
Familiarise yourself with the background, core concepts, terminology, and applications of CX.
- Introduction to Human-Centred Design (HCD)
- The difference between CX, Service Design (SD), User Experience (UX), marketing and project management
- The impact, roles and 10 principles of great CX
Learn how to bring the voice of the customer into a business with research techniques and how to:
- Conduct consumer interviews and surveys
- Read, make sense of and apply data
- Conduct effective desktop research
- Know which technique to deploy and when
Explore the importance of storytelling with data and the role of data in developing insights, learning how to:
- Extract insights from data
- Present your insights to stakeholders
- Distribute insights to an organisation
Learn about segmenting customers in a way that allows you to serve their different needs and validate your insights.
- Introduction to segmentation
- Psychographic segmentation
- Who are your customers and what do they want?
- How to validate your insights
- How to apply your segmentation
Explore the role of CX in an organisation and the stakeholders involved.
- CX and stakeholder engagement
- The role of CX in an organisation
- Understand and align with an organisation’s vision
- Learn how to overcome operational restrictions
Explore the customer journey, learning how to define and draw insights from it.
- What is a customer journey?
- The role of Service Design (SD) in journey mapping
- How to map a customer journey and extract key insights
- Introduction to journey metrics
Learn the key requirements and gain all the tools you need to develop your own CX strategy, making impactful CX decisions.
- How to write a CX strategy
- Presenting your CX strategy
- Measuring your CX strategy
- Creating an minimum viable product (MVP) CX strategy
Learn how to optimise your customer journey, ensuring it delivers desired outcomes by applying design thinking techniques.
- How to prioritise optimisations
- Applying design thinking to customer journeys
- Defining the challenge
- Generating, testing and implementing solutions
Learn how to implement your CX strategy by converting it into an actionable program working with all the relevant stakeholders.
- Creating a CX program rollout plan
- Designing rollout training and support
- How to ensure effective communications to support rollout
- The use of technology in a rollout
Understand customer metrics, their role in measuring overall CX and the technology involved.
- Benefits of NPS, CSAT and CES and when to use them
- Custom metrics
- CX measurement technology
- Calculating the ROI of CX
Who this course is for
If you’re keen to study flexibly online and sharpen a CX skillset at your own pace, then our Customer Experience Elevate Self-Paced course is the course for you.
There are no prerequisites for this course. It is ideal for:
- Students who want the convenience and flexibility of online learning, with the benefits of regular support
- Those designing customer journeys, who want to leverage CX best practices and strategies to create exceptional experiences
- Learners in customer facing roles, seeking to introduce CX best practice to their day-to-day job
- Anyone looking for a practical online course where they can develop a personal CX project to display in their portfolio
Earn a digital credential
We partner with Credly to deliver digital credentials for our graduates. Digital credentials are a graphical representation of your skills, combined with a description of the knowledge and activities it took to earn them.
Digital badges can be used in email signatures or digital resumes, and on social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Our students' success stories
Academy Xi has a 4.2 score out of 5, rated by 2565 students.
“This course was so enlightening on how to take a practical, data-driven CX plan from research, through to strategy and roll-out”
I think CX is one of those disciplines that is embraced by many but truly understood by a few. This course was so enlightening on how to take a practical, data-driven CX plan from research, through to strategy and roll-out. I now feel confident in my ability to apply the practical tools I learned through the course, to enact real change based around what the customer needs.
“CX Course is well worth doing”
Either as the foundation for a new career or as a supplement to your existing skill set, the Academy Xi CX Course is well worth doing. The course is broken down into easily digestible chunks which are complimented with insights from industry professionals.