24 weeks, part-time
7 Mar 2022 - 1 Sep 2022
Launch offer – 30% off
Whatever your previous experience, this course (built with experts from Accenture, MYOB, PwC and Deloitte) will help you sharpen all the job-ready skills needed for an exciting new career in Product Management.
More goods and services than ever before are developed digitally, meaning Product Managers are one of Australia’s fastest growing tech roles, with over 3,250 current positions paying an average salary of $120,000.*
This course caters for digital industries specifically and delivers the latest management techniques. Become an accomplished all-rounder, planning product improvements and strategising a new product from end-to-end.
*Source – Seek, 2021
Why study this course?
Career Support Program:
- Enter the course a beginner and be job-ready by graduation
- 24 weeks of personalised career support and guidance
- Polish-up your professional profile, pinpoint job opportunities and prepare for interviews, with a dedicated team that helps 9 of 10 graduates go straight into industry
- Premium material built in-house, in consultation with Product Management experts from Accenture, PwC, Deloitte & MYOB
- 360 hours of course content and activities over 24 weeks
- Understand what customers really want and need, and design user friendly, highly functional products
- Dual focus on developing new products and day-to-day product improvement skills
- Develop the leadership and persuasion skills that today’s Product Managers need to get the job done
- Receive tips, tricks and insider advice from proven Product Managers
Learn by doing:
- Perform hands-on activities in each module and gain practical skills that you can immediately apply on the job
- Carry out two live projects for real clients and see your ideas influence real-world product strategies
- Create Jira backlogs, plan Agile sprints and work in Agile scrum
- Tackle a product scenario with in-depth usage data and plan a real-world product improvement
- Create a comprehensive strategy for a brand new digital product that you’re passionate about
A highly supported experience:
- Weekly mentor-led live video sessions, conveniently held after work hours to facilitate discussions, find solutions to problems and bring the content to life
- Unlimited 1:1 mentor sessions for tailored support
- Entire teams dedicated to your progress during and after the course
- Regular deadlines will keep you focused and on track, but offer the flexibility to schedule your learning around life’s other commitments
A social and collaborative learning environment:
- Access course content through our user friendly and interactive online learning platform NovoEd, which promotes peer engagement
- Be part of a cohort – share ideas and experiences, encourage one another and start building your Product Management network
- Realise the principles of management and leadership by working as a team with your classmates
Earn trusted and recognised credentials:
- Get a Certificate of Completion to validate your Product Management skills and capabilities
- Add shine to your LinkedIn profile with an industry trusted digital badge
What you'll learn
Understand the role that Product Managers play, the hierarchies they work in and how they influence the product stream. Learn how to determine the desirability, viability and feasibility of a product idea, and how design principles can be incorporated into the product development process.
- What do Product Managers do?
- The Product Management hierarchy
- Software development & digital roles
- Product Innovation
- Human Centred Design
- Agile and Lean product development
- Case study analysis of the product hierarchy and digital teams
- Written reflection on you and product management
Investigate the first stage of any successful product – identifying and analysing opportunities. This includes strategically understanding an organisation, its goals and objectives and where it fits in the marketplace. You’ll also delve into analysing existing products, finding opportunities for improvement and understanding what makes a great product.
- Who are you?
- What are you trying to do?
- Where do you fit?
- Designing great products
- Strategically understand an organisation
- Analyse existing products and customer data
- Create an opportunity hypothesis
Examine methods of validating your opportunity hypothesis from module two, along with working to define and communicate your product vision, product requirements and high-level strategy.
- Basic user research
- Personas & journey maps
- User scenarios
- Financial modelling
- Analysing risk
- Defining product requirements
- Create a basic lean canvas
- Validate your opportunity hypothesis
- Define objectives & key performance indicators
- Create a product vision & high-level roadmap
Explore how products are designed using Human-Centred Design (HCD) principles. Specifically, you will go through the process of a Google Design Sprint (Understand, Define, Sketch, Decide, Prototype, Validate).
- Designing digital products
- Design roles and processes
- Defining product requirements
- Google design sprints
- Applying Human Centred Design & User Experience
- Planning the customer journey
- Create a ‘lean’ product requirement document (PRD)
- Simulate a micro design sprint
- Create a customer journey & user scenarios
- Create basic product wireframes
For the first of a 2-module section centred around product development in a digital team, you’ll look at applying the Agile Scrum methodology to product development and use Jira to create roadmaps, product backlogs and sprint boards.
- Developing digital products
- Product development methodologies
- Building an MVP
- Using Jira
- Backlog prioritisation and refinement
- Create a delivery plan
- Design a roadmap & product backlog in Jira
For the second of the 2 modules focused on product development, you’ll address working with remote and on-site tech teams, technical literacy & concepts for product managers, along with the quality assurance (QA) and deployment process.
- Working with tech teams and remote teams
- Tech concepts for product managers
- Quality Assurance (QA)
- User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
- The definition of ‘done’
- Retrospectives & release
- Complete an Agile Sprint simulation challenge
This module delves into the digital marketing concepts that a Product Manager needs to know. This includes developing your strategy for messaging, marketing channels, audience, and content.
- Marketing funnels
- Marketing channels
- Messaging strategy
- Content creation
- Landing pages
- Search engine optimisation (SEO)
- Create a product-focussed blog post
In Module 8 you’ll look at Go-to-Market strategies and tactics used throughout the product development process.
- Alpha and Beta launches
- Marketing & promotional activities
- Data collection
- Product launches
- Create a resource for your support team to assist with a product launch
Circling back to modules 2, 3 & 4 with a deeper focus on more advanced topics, you’ll be applying your strategic knowledge to the ideation of new products, rather than iterating and improving existing ones.
- Investigating market trends & gaps
- Generative & evaluative research
- Using psychological understanding in research
- Watch an extended strategic case study analysis video
- Complete initial research for a new product of your choice
Module 10 will be all about you building your commercial acumen. You’ll cover a number of financial and quantitative concepts that are relevant to Product Managers, and learn how to think and act like a leader.
- Financial modelling
- Managing budgets
- General financial literacy
- Thinking like a leader & decision making
- Assembling a product team
- Empowering others & cross-team collaboration
- Facilitating people & outcomes
- Stakeholder management
- Continue with the strategy development for your new product
- Financial acumen exercises
- Practice high trust leadership
Module 11 gives you the chance to build on the decision making capabilities developed in the module before, as you’ll use data extraction to formulate insights and make better decisions. You’ll also learn how to use data analysis to good effect with stakeholder management.
- Extracting meaningful data
- Data-driven decision making
- Data visualisation
- Data for stakeholder management
- Design and validate experiments then visually represent the finding
Explore human-related and communication skills essential to a Product Manager’s ability to ‘get things done’, using emotional intelligence and powers of persuasion rather than hierarchical power. Sharpen your presentation skills and learn how to ensure a long-term Product Management career.
- Product storytelling
- Presentation skills
- Future-proof yourself as a Product Manager
- Create and deliver a presentation about your new product and strategy
Live client projects
Over 12 weeks, you’ll realise everything you’ve learned and practiced by working on 2 live projects for real-world clients.
You’ll plan strategies that will impact commercial products and influence a company’s objectives, developing those all-important industry experiences that employers are looking for.
Working as a group, both client projects will require you to:
- Consult with clients to understand their goals and requirements
- Collaborate with classmates to develop a product strategy that aligns with specific outcomes
- Present your recommendation back to the clients
Career support program
After you graduate, it’s all about landing that ideal Product Management role. You’ll already have the skills and practical knowhow, so all that’s left is to set the scene for that big career move.
You’ll receive comprehensive guidance and support from our Career Support Program and undertake activities including:
- Finesse: Add shine to your Product Management portfolio, CV and LinkedIn profile, creating a compelling career narrative
- Practice: Hone your soft skills, such as interview and presentation techniques
- Search: Expand your industry network then find and apply for your dream roles
Graduates of this course and our Career Support Program can expect to land a range of product related roles, including but not limited to:
- Product Manager
- Junior Product Manager
- Associate Product Specialist
- Product Owner
Who this course is for
This course is perfect for anyone looking to transition into Product Management and has no prerequisites, although previous managerial or digital team experience may be beneficial.
If you are a team-focused ‘big picture’ thinker with the drive to lead a multifaceted project through its stages, this is the career change for you. Those interested in this course may include:
- Career changers after a fresh start in a product-led role
- Junior or associate product managers, designers or developers wanting to upskill and secure a promotion
- Entrepreneurs planning to design and launch a digital product
- Existing Product Managers wanting to modernise their leadership style and develop a digital skillset
- People re-entering the workforce looking to retrain and future-proof their career
This course takes approximately 360 hours, spread across 24 weeks. This timeframe includes absorbing the learning materials, attending live video sessions, performing the course activities, finishing your assessments, designing and presenting your end-to-end product strategy, and completing two live client projects.
Earn a digital credential
We partner with Credly to deliver digital credentials for our graduates. Digital credentials are a graphical representation of your skills, combined with a description of the knowledge and activities it took to earn them.
Digital badges can be used in email signatures or digital resumes, and on social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Our students' success stories
Academy Xi has a 4.2 score out of 5, rated by 2306 students.
“Thank you Academy Xi for successfully helping me to achieve my new career/future.”
I can highly recommend Academy Xi and have become a massive fan of what they are achieving. The advice I would give to anyone thinking about taking the leap and changing their career/life is: your attitude will determine your outcome. If you go in with an open mind and positive determination you will succeed. Thank you Academy Xi for successfully helping me to achieve my new career/future.
“Academy Xi gave me the training I wanted; the discomfort zone I needed, and a family I never expected!”
Dennii Lee Stanbridge
Academy Xi gave me the training I wanted; the discomfort zone I needed, and a family I never expected! I wouldn't be where I am without the Academy Xi tribe putting me in the firing line of opportunities I may not have dared for myself. Be prepared to work hard. Accept and push through the moments of uncertainty, doubt and overwhelm. Surrender to and trust the process.
“The courses were an adventure and investment in my development”
Always friendly and welcoming! The community at Academy Xi and the environment they create for learning and expanding your horizons is exactly what is needed when you are looking to gain new skills. The courses were an adventure and investment in my development I'll always value and have gained immensely from.
“Academy Xi helped me overcome education paradigms”
When you’re new in a city like I was, you’d normally have to put a lot of extra effort in traditional education. Academy Xi helped me overcome education paradigms. They’ve provided me with knowledge, a network and gave me great industry insights. I am very grateful to be an Alumni.
“gained real-world exposure of what it’s like to be a Product Manager”
Thanks to the mentorship from experienced professionals, I’ve been able to work in Product Management and gained real-world exposure of what it’s like to be a Product Manager.
“The instructors were great in providing the foundation, theory, and real-world examples”
The instructors were great in providing the foundation, theory, and real-world examples of Product Management. Working across theory and practical examples gave me a good perspective of how Product Management can be used.
“This course was honestly one of the best courses I have had the pleasure of attending in my entire learning career”
This course was honestly one of the best courses I have had the pleasure of attending in my entire learning career. Not a day goes by in my job when I am given a task and I think to myself "I can do that because we covered this thoroughly in the course! Within 4 weeks of working in my new job, I have been promoted to full-time Product Manager. I don't think I could have come this far this quickly without your support and guidance across the course, and your assistance in giving me a strong theoretical and practical foundation.