Complement your professional expertise and boost your career with in-demand Graphic Design skills.
Companies across all industries are constantly on the hunt for people with Graphic Design skills to help them craft innovative assets that build brand differentiation and establish emotional connections with target audiences.
Our self-paced Graphic Design online course will equip you with the concepts, mindset and practical experience needed to design slick visual assets and thrive in a creative field.
- Dual focus on Graphic Design theory and practice for increased employability
- Approximately 72 hours of learning with 6 months’ access
- Premium Graphic Design material built in-house by experts
The best way to learn is by doing:
- Get practical experience that you can immediately use in your job
- Complete a range of activities throughout the course
- Create a compelling set of Graphic Design artefacts
- Build your Graphic Design portfolio
Study at your own pace:
- Have the freedom to plan and build your development around life’s other commitments
- With no classes or set deadlines, this course is perfect if you are juggling study with a full-time job
- Complete the course on a schedule that’s convenient for you – within a few weeks, or over the full six months
Expert guidance and support:
- Though you’ll go through the course at your own pace, you’ll never be alone
- Book up to twelve 1:1 sessions with your subject matter Xi Expert and discuss course material, get feedback and consult over project decisions
- Get support from a Study Coach who will help you plan your progress, keep motivated and answer any study-related questions
Easy-to-use online learning platform:
- Access course content through our easy to use online learning platform, powered by NovoEd
- It makes learning interactive and engaging, with content designed to read like a story for a seamless experience
- Your online campus also makes it possible to connect with, and learn from, other students who may be studying the course
Earn trusted and recognised credentials:
- Get a Certificate of Completion to validate your competencies and skills in Graphic Design
- Add an industry-trusted digital credential to your LinkedIn profile
You’ll have 6 months access to all course materials, enabling you to study at your own pace and fit your development around your busy lifestyle. Complete the course in a few weeks, or over the full 6 months – it’s up to you.
The course content takes approximately 72 hours. This timeframe includes working through the learning materials, tackling the course activities, finishing your assessments, creating your final project and communicating with your Xi Expert.
What you'll learn
Familiarise yourself with the background, core concepts, terminology, and applications of Graphic Design
- Introduction to Graphic Design – gestalt theory
- Digital skills building
- Module 1 activities include developing your 1st major assessment
Get introduced to Graphic Design elements that help organise and structure the visual content.
- Introduction to colour
- Colour theory
- Module 2 activities include developing your 1st major assessment
Further explore other Graphic Design elements and their impact on user psychology, design perception and creating a sharper, clearer outcome.
- Scale and proportion
- Module 3 activities include developing your 1st major assessment
Learn composition rules to create a cohesive design.
- Balance and symmetry
- Rule of thirds
- Golden ratio
- Module 4 activities include submitting your 1st major assessment
Explore the history and role of symbols. Learn to use them as logos (branded symbols) to prompt a response in the audience’s mind.
- Exploring symbols
- Branded symbols – logos
- Designing logos
- Module 5 activities include developing your 2nd major assessment
Learn the fundamental principles and vocabulary of typography.
- Introduction to typography
- Font choices and styles
- Module 6 activities include developing your 2nd major assessment
Explore culture jamming in Graphic Design; design as parody, protest, advertising and propaganda. Review examples of contemporary design activism – ‘subvertising’, anti-logos, and labelling.
- Culture jamming in Graphic Design
- Module 7 activities include developing your 2nd major assessment
Learn how photomontage and collage are used in advertising, marketing, Graphic Design and other areas of design. Discover how to create powerful designs using these mediums.
- Photomontage and collage
- Module 8 activities include submitting your 2nd major assessment
Learn how to create a brand identity, including both the tangible and intangible visual elements of your brand. Learn how to frame this proposition and design for it.
- Introduction to brands and branding
- Brand identity
- Mood boards
- Module 9 activities include developing your 3rd major assessment
Further define the visual language of your brand with a style guide.
- Creating style guides
- Module 10 activities include developing your 3rd major assessment
Creating brand collateral, all the tangible elements of a brand – the collection of materials and media that create awareness and promote it, presenting a brand identity.
- Designing brand collateral
- Brand collateral and brand books
- Module 11 activities include developing your 3rd major assessment
Continue the work of modules 9-11 to design and submit your brand book and brand identity.
- Module 12 activities and 3rd major assessment submission
Who this course is for
- Anyone looking for a flexible, self-paced professional development course with in-depth coverage of the theory and practice of Graphic Design
- Students who want to understand the visual communication and Graphic Design mindset and toolkit
- A range of learners seeking to visually communicate in their professional practice or introduce Graphic Design best practices to their day-to-day job
- Anyone looking for a practical online course that enables them to develop a Graphic Design project in line with industry-standards
Earn a digital credential
We partner with Credly to deliver digital credentials for our graduates. Digital credentials are a graphical representation of your skills, combined with a description of the knowledge and activities it took to earn them.
Digital badges can be used in email signatures or digital resumes, and on social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Our students' success stories
Academy Xi scored 5 out of 5, as rated by our students.
“Academy Xi was instrumental in securing my dream role”
Academy Xi was instrumental in securing my dream role, so a big thank you to my instructor and my teammates! This course will expand your portfolio, your network and expose you to some amazing like-minded people. Be collaborative, inquisitive, open about your passions and you will get a lot out of studying with Xi.
“The courses were an adventure and investment in my development”
Always friendly and welcoming! The community at Academy Xi and the environment they create for learning and expanding your horizons is exactly what is needed when you are looking to gain new skills. The courses were an adventure and investment in my development I'll always value and have gained immensely from.