Co-created with industry experts:
Digital transformation is on the rise and there is surging demand for Project Managers who can handle the particular processes and challenges of guiding a project in the digital space.
With the nature of digital projects always evolving, 54% of digital project managers will need new training and upskilling by 2022.
Formalise your Project Management capabilities with emphasis on digital practice, and boost your career with the ability to deliver projects efficiently and to budget.
- Premium material built in-house, with inputs from industry experts working at Optus, MYOB, Deepend, and Blip Digital
- 60-80 hours of learning with 6 months’ access
- Deliver digital projects and drive business value for your company or clients
- Manage scope, time, budget, resources, risk and quality to deliver projects on time and within budget
- Gain both hard and soft skills expected of today’s Digital Project Managers
Real-world, digital focus:
- Apply both traditional Waterfall & Agile Scrum methodologies to plan and manage projects
- Use in-demand Project Management tools like Jira & TeamGantt
- Hear real battle stories, case studies and tips from practising digital PMs
- Gain digital fluency and become confident working with technical teams
The best way to learn is by doing:
- Guided by an interactive workbook, you’ll complete hands-on activities in each module
- Work on a real-world project of your choosing, preparing a range of project management deliverables that act as a starting point for a comprehensive, executable project plan
- Apply your learnings to tricky scenarios and make tough decisions
Study at your own pace:
- Have the freedom to plan and build your development around life’s other commitments
- With no classes or set deadlines, this course is perfect if you are juggling study with a full-time job
- Complete the course on a schedule that’s convenient for you – within a few weeks, or over the full six months
Expert guidance and support:
- Though you’ll go through the course at your own pace, you’ll never be alone
- Book up to twelve 1:1 sessions with your subject matter Xi Expert and discuss course material, get personalised feedback and consult over project decisions
- Get support from a Study Coach who will help you plan your progress, keep motivated and answer any study-related questions
Easy-to-use online learning platform:
- Access course content through our easy to use online learning platform, powered by NovoEd
- It makes learning interactive and engaging, with content designed to read like a story for a seamless experience
- Your online campus also makes it possible to connect with, and learn from, other students who may be studying the course
Earn trusted and recognised credentials:
- Get a Certificate of Completion to validate your competencies and skills in Digital Project Management
- Add an industry trusted digital credential to your LinkedIn profile
*Source: World Economic Forum, 2020
You’ll have 6 months access to all course materials, enabling you to study at your own pace. Complete the course in a few weeks, or over the full 6 months – it’s up to you.
The course content takes approximately 60-80 hours. This timeframe includes working through the learning materials, tackling the course activities, finishing your assessments, creating and presenting your final project, and communicating with your Xi Expert.
What you’ll learn
Understand how digital projects are brought to life and learn the factors that can make or break a digital project, and the qualities of the best Digital Project Managers.
- The Digital Industry
- What is Digital Project Management?
- What Makes a Great Digital Project Manager
- Digital Teams & Roles
- How Digital Products are Made
- Digital Imposter: Types of Digital Projects
- The Human Element: How to ask question and how to listen
- Interview a Digital Project Manager (or someone who has worked on digital projects) about their experiences
- Share actionable insights
Select a project to work on and understand your project’s business need, when it’s due, and how you will run it to balance competing constraints of time, scope and budget.
- The Why: The Business Need
- The Who: Engaging with the Right People
- The Human Element: Building trust with stakeholders
- The How: Project Management Methodologies
- The How: Project Governance
- The When & How Much: Project Constraints
- The What: Project Charter
- Digital Imposter: Essential Digital Terminology
- Select a project to work on
- Engage with relevant stakeholders to learn about the business objectives
- Undertake initial research on your project to create a Micro-Project Charter
Get started with the first of three modules focused on Waterfall/traditional way of managing digital projects. Gather requirements by engaging with stakeholders, then translate these requirements into a project scope and Work Breakdown Structure.
- What is Waterfall?
- What is Requirements Gathering?
- The Requirements Gathering Process
- The Human Element: Getting Stakeholders to Share Their Knowledge
- Digital Imposter: How to work with tech teams in scoping
- The Scope of Work (SoW)
- The Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Identifying Task Dependencies
- Work with stakeholders to gather requirements for your project
- Create a part of your WBS and WBS dictionary
Create a Gantt chart to schedule activities and allocate resources. Learn how to prepare a communication plan, risk management plan and quality management plan.
- Getting a handle on the schedule
- How to create a Gantt Chart
- Resource Planning
- Budget Basics
- The Human Element: Selecting your dream team
- The Risk Management Plan
- Digital Imposter: Understanding Quality
- The Communications Plan
- Getting your project plan signed off
- Create a Gantt chart using TeamGantt
Learn how to manage different aspects of the project to stay on track: time, scope, budget, resources and quality. Prepare status reports and learn how to translate technical status into client-friendly language.
- The Project Kick Off – Getting everyone on the same page
- Implementing the Project Plan
- Issue Management
- Dealing with Change Requests
- Budget Management
- The Human Element: Leading your Team
- Digital Imposter: Translating technical status to stakeholder-friendly language
- Tips for keeping the project on track
- Create a change request and status report
Explore the world of Agile Scrum – its principles, roles, ceremonies and artefacts. Translate project requirements into agile-friendly epics, stories and tasks. Use Atlassian’s Jira to build your backlog.
- What is Agile?
- Introduction to Agile Scrum
- The Human Element: Mindset, Values and Roles
- Product Vision and Roadmap
- Creating a Product Backlog
- Digital Imposter: What makes a good user story?
- Backlog Grooming and refinement
- The Definition of ‘Done’
- Setting up your backlog in Jira
- Set up a backlog in Jira and create user stories
Understand how to plan your sprint, conduct daily Scrums, work within an Agile team and navigate roadblocks. You’ll learn about reporting and engage in a sprint retrospective and review.
- Sprint Planning
- The Sprint
- The Human Element: Working in an Agile Team
- Digital Imposter: Removing Blockers
- Managing Scrum in Jira
- Sprint Tracking and Reporting
- The Sprint Review and Showcase
- The Sprint Retrospective
Manage the Sprint in Jira by dealing with simulated challenges
Delve deeply into managing and troubleshooting various digital project management challenges. When things go wrong, how do you get your project back on track?
- Human Challenges (Stakeholders)
- Human Challenges (Team)
- Organisational Challenges
- Project Challenges
- Personal Challenges
- Knowing When a Project is in Trouble (and how to get it back on track)
- The Human Element: When and How to Escalate an Issue
Create your own diary/vlog-style response to a challenge – what would you do?
Look at the final stages of a project including testing & QA, approval, Go Live and closing projects. Learn about oft-neglected activities: post-launch maintenance, assessing the success of your project and lessons learned.
- Digital Imposter: How testing and QA works
- User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
- Approvals & Go Live
- Post Launch Transition and Maintenance
- The Human Element: Training & Onboarding
- Closing the Project
- Evaluating Project Success and Lessons Learned
- Create your own go live checklist and plan for post launch transition and maintenance
Get useful tips for common scenarios like working with remote teams and managing 3rd party vendors. Wrap up by learning how to be an innovative and ‘future-focussed’ PM.
- Introduction to Presenting and Storytelling
- Visual Presentation Skills
- Verbal Presentation Skills
- Written Presentation Skills
- The Human Element: Working in Remote Teams and Managing External Resources
- Innovation and the Future of Digital Projects – how to stay ahead with tech
- Prepare your ‘post-mortem’ and learnings from the project
Who this course is for
If you’re looking for flexible practical Digital Project Management training completed online at your own pace, this course is for you.
Our Project Management (Digital): Elevate Self-Paced course has no prerequisites and is a perfect fit for a variety of professionals, including:
- Aspiring project managers who are keen to improve their digital project management skills and work better with or in digital project teams
- Those who already manage digital projects at a junior to mid level wanting to formalise their experience or secure a promotion
- Traditional project managers who are looking to upskill in digital PM and tools
- Digital team members (such as developers and designers) looking to gain project management skills and start leading projects
- Anyone who wants to improve their general digital literacy skills and effectiveness working alongside digital teams (such as clients and other stakeholders)
Employed students may be working in roles such as Digital Project Manager, Digital Producer, Scrum Master, Product Manager, Product Owner, Business Analyst, Developer, Account Manager, E-Commerce Manager, Account Executive, Marketing Manager, Digital Coordinator or Designer.
Our students’ success stories
Academy Xi scored 5 out of 5, as rated by our students.
“Academy Xi was instrumental in securing my dream role”
Academy Xi was instrumental in securing my dream role, so a big thank you to my instructor and my teammates! This course will expand your portfolio, your network and expose you to some amazing like-minded people. Be collaborative, inquisitive, open about your passions and you will get a lot out of studying with Xi.
“The courses were an adventure and investment in my development”
Always friendly and welcoming! The community at Academy Xi and the environment they create for learning and expanding your horizons is exactly what is needed when you are looking to gain new skills. The courses were an adventure and investment in my development I'll always value and have gained immensely from.
Earn a digital credential
We partner with Credly to deliver digital credentials for our graduates. Digital credentials are a graphical representation of your skills, combined with a description of the knowledge and activities it took to earn them.
Digital badges can be used in email signatures or digital resumes, and on social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
For more info, click here.