12 weeks, part-time
23 Aug 2021 - 10 Nov 2021
Complement your professional expertise and boost your career with in-demand Graphic Design skills.
Companies across all industries are constantly on the hunt for people with Graphic Design skills to help them craft innovative assets that build brand differentiation and elicit emotional connections with target audiences.
Our Graphic Design online course will equip you with the concepts, mindset and practical experience required to design slick visual assets and thrive in this rewarding field.
Packed with industry-relevant content:
- Receive an industry-recognised Certificate and digital credential
- 72-96 hours of content and activities along 12 weeks
- Premium material built in-house by experts
- Learn on our engaging learning platform
A highly supported experience:
- Fortnightly live video sessions with mentor and classmates
- 1:1 sessions with your mentor for tailored support
- Entire teams dedicated to your support
The best way to learn is by doing:
- Get practical experience that you can immediately use in your job
- Work on various activities throughout the course
- Create a compelling set of Graphic Design artefacts
- Build your portfolio
A social and collaborative learning environment:
- Cohort-based: go through the course at the same pace as all other students
- Collaborate with your classmates on Graphic Design projects, grow together, and make lifelong friends.
This course takes approximately 72-96 hours over 12 weeks. This timeframe includes getting through the learning materials, attending live video sessions, participating in 1:1 mentoring sessions, completing the course activities, developing your personal project, and communicating with your peers and mentor.
What you'll learn
Familiarise yourself with the background, core concepts, terminology, and applications of Graphic Design.
- Introduction to Graphic Design (gestalt theory)
- Digital skills building
- Module 1 activities (major assessment 1)
Get introduced to Graphic Design elements that help organise and structure the visual content.
- Introduction to colour
- Colour theory
- Module 2 activities (major assessment 1)
Further explore other Graphic Design elements and their impact on user psychology, design perception and creating a sharper, clearer outcome.
- Scale and proportion
- Module 3 activities (major assessment 1)
Learn composition rules to create a cohesive design.
- Balance and symmetry
- Rule of thirds
- Golden ratio
- Module 4 activities and major assessment 1 submission
Explore the history and role of symbols. Learn to use them as logos (branded symbols) to prompt a response in the audience’s mind.
- Exploring symbols
- Branded symbols – logos
- Designing logos
- Module 5 activities (major assessment 2)
Learn the fundamental principles and vocabulary of typography.
- Introduction to typography
- Font choices and styles
- Module 6 activities (major assessment 2)
Explore culture jamming in Graphic Design; design as parody, protest, advertising and propaganda. Review examples of contemporary design activism – ‘subvertising’, antilogos, and labelling.
- Culture jamming in Graphic Design
- Module 7 activities (major assessment 2)
Learn how photomontage and collage is used in advertising, marketing, Graphic Design and in other areas of design. Discover how to create powerful designs using these mediums.
- Photomontage and collage
- Module 8 activities and major assessment 2 submission
Learn how to create a brand identity, including both the tangible and intangible visual elements of your brand. Learn how to frame this proposition and design for it.
- Introduction to brands and branding
- Brand identity
- Mood boards
- Module 9 activities (major assessment 3)
Further define the visual language of your brand with a style guide.
- Creating style guides
- Module 10 activities (major assessment 3)
Creating brand collateral, all the tangible elements of a brand – the collection of materials and media that create awareness and promote it, presenting a brand identity.
- Designing brand collateral
- Brand collateral and brand books
- Module 11 activities (major assessment 3)
Continue the work of modules 9-11 to design and submit your brand book. Designing a brand book and brand identity.
- Module 12 activities and major assessment 3 submission
Who this course is for
There are no prerequisites for this course. It is ideal for:
- Anyone looking for a mentor-led, short course in Graphic Design
- Anyone looking for a practical online course where they can develop a project/portfolio to scheduled deadlines and in line with industry-standards
- Students who want the convenience and flexibility of online learning delivery, with the benefits of regular support in live video sessions
Earn a digital credential
We partner with Acclaim by Credly to deliver digital credentials for our graduates. Digital credentials are a graphical representation of your skills, combined with a description of the knowledge and activities it took to earn them.
Digital badges can be used in email signatures or digital resumes, and on social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Our students' success stories
Academy Xi has a 4.2 score out of 5, rated by 2521 students.
“Academy Xi was instrumental in securing my dream role”
Academy Xi was instrumental in securing my dream role, so a big thank you to my instructor and my teammates! This course will expand your portfolio, your network and expose you to some amazing like-minded people. Be collaborative, inquisitive, open about your passions and you will get a lot out of studying with Xi.
“The courses were an adventure and investment in my development”
Always friendly and welcoming! The community at Academy Xi and the environment they create for learning and expanding your horizons is exactly what is needed when you are looking to gain new skills. The courses were an adventure and investment in my development I'll always value and have gained immensely from.