The instructor was very experienced in Service Design and facilitated a deep understanding of the subject matter amongst a cross-section of students with varying skill levels and employment backgrounds. And most of all the instructor made it fun! I would recommend this course and Academy Xi—the staff were incredibly professional, the sign-up process was a breeze, and the after-care and involvement in the Academy Xi community have been wonderful. Thank you!
10 weeks, part-time
1 Feb 2021 - 9 Apr 2021
Complement your professional expertise and boost your career with in-demand skills in Service Design, Design Thinking and Human-Centred processes.
The demand for Service Designers is booming across all industries, with over 2,950 roles on offer in Australia. This online course will equip you with a solid toolkit of Service Design frameworks and techniques so you can craft innovative, seamless and personalised service experiences that people will remember and talk about.
Packed with industry-relevant content:
- Receive trusted, industry-recognised credentials
- 50 hours of content and activities along 10 weeks
- Understand the end-to-end Service Design process
- Learn soft skills to effectively communicate and secure stakeholders’ buy in
- Premium content built in-house by experts
A highly supported experience:
- Live video sessions: your instructor takes you through the course material
- Sessions conveniently held twice a week after working hours
- No need to go through a learning platform
- Entire teams dedicated to your support
The best way to learn is by doing:
- Forget case studies: work on a real, live client project
- Manage stakeholders and deadlines – just like in a real Service Design job
- Create a compelling set of Service Design artefacts
- Build your portfolio
A social and collaborative learning environment:
- Start the course as a group and learn at the same pace as all other students
- Collaborate with your classmates on Service Design projects, grow together, and make lifelong friends
This course takes approximately 50 hours over 10 weeks. This timeframe includes getting through the learning materials, attending live video sessions, completing the live, real client project, and communicating with your peers and instructor.
What you'll learn
Start your Service Design learning journey with the right building blocks and explore the following questions:
- What is Service Design and why is it important?
- How do you ‘do’ Service Design?
- What can be solved in applying a thorough Service Design process?
- What Service Design principles will guide my creation process?
- What is involved in working on a client project?
Frame the context, objectives, and external influences of a service.
- Understand the scope and context of your service
- Frame the context, objectives and external influences in and of a service
- Identify problems by performing an Abstract Laddering technique
- Explore service threats and opportunities
Develop a deep understanding of your audience through user personas, storytelling and customer interviews. Learn to apply the best research methods to extract insights.
- Stakeholder Maps
- Directed storytelling
- Research techniques
- Research planning
Piece together your insights to create a Service Blueprint that communicates your service concept and leads to a Service Roadmap.
- Creative thinking and ideation
- Plan, sketch, and finalise a storyboard
- Collate and analyse research
- Learn how to conduct tests and walkthroughs
- Perform rapid experience prototyping to communicate your Service Design concept
- Devise service journey maps
- Conduct resonance testing and walkthroughs
- Service blueprints and service evolution
Wrap up your training and pitch your service concept to your client and instructor for final feedback. Plan your next steps in Service Design.
- Present your Service Design project in a final pitch
- Mingle with industry experts and get valuable feedback on your project
Who this course is for
There are no prerequisites for this course. This course is ideal for:
- Anyone looking to enrich their career in a mentor-led course, with convenient live video sessions, held after working hours
- Anyone looking for a practical course where they can work on a real Service Design challenge, delivered to scheduled deadlines and in line with industry-standards
Earn a digital credential
We partner with Acclaim by Credly to deliver digital credentials for our graduates. Digital credentials are a graphical representation of your skills, combined with a description of the knowledge and activities it took to earn them.
Digital badges can be used in email signatures or digital resumes, and on social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Our students work with the best
Our students' success stories
Academy Xi has a 4.2 score out of 5, rated by 2415 students.
“the after-care and involvement in the Academy Xi community have been wonderful”
“I’ve been able to implement the knowledge I gained on the course straight into my work!”
The Academy Xi Service Design course was a worthwhile experience. It has been valuable to help me understand the role of Service Design in business. I’ve been able to implement the knowledge I gained on the course straight into my work! The community of students and the teachers created a fun learning environment. Each week, there was something new to look forward to. Thank you for such a great experience!