The UX course was amazing and was the best course I’ve ever done. Our instructor was extremely knowledgeable and approachable. Academy Xi’s diverse environment allowed us to flourish while working with real-life clients.
12 weeks, part-time
6 Sep 2021 - 24 Nov 2021
30% off Elevate Course
Complement your existing professional expertise and boost your career with in-demand skills in User Experience Design (UX), User Interface Design (UI), Design Thinking and Human-Centred processes.
The demand for UX UI Designers is booming across all industries, with an expected market growth of 18.9 % by 2024. This online course will equip you with a solid toolkit of UX Design frameworks, and introduce you to UI Design concepts, so you can craft useful, usable, and slick digital products.
Packed with industry-relevant content:
- Combined UX and UI Design for increased employability
- Receive trusted, industry-recognised credentials
- 60-80 hours of content and activities along 12 weeks
- Premium material built in-house by experts
- Learn on our engaging learning platform
A highly supported experience:
- Fortnightly live video sessions with mentor and classmates
- 1:1 sessions with your mentor for tailored support
- Entire teams dedicated to your support
The best way to learn is by doing:
- Get practical experience that you can immediately use in your job
- Work on various activities throughout the course
- Create a compelling set of UX UI Design artefacts
- Build your portfolio on a project of your choice
A social and collaborative learning environment:
- Cohort-based: go through the course at the same pace as all other students
- Collaborate with your classmates on UX UI Design projects, grow together, and make lifelong friends
This course takes approximately 60-80 hours over 12 weeks. This timeframe includes absorbing the learning materials, attending live video sessions, participating in 1:1 mentoring sessions, completing the course activities, developing your personal project, and communicating with your peers and mentor.
What you'll learn
Get an introduction to core design concepts and frameworks, and learn how well thought-out UX and UI design principles can delight your users.
- Introduction to UX
- Designing for user satisfaction and delight
- Human-centred design principles
- The Double Diamond framework for UX
- UX Software – FIGMA, sketch and more
- UX case study and assets
- Create your own visual representation of the UX design process
- Choose your project design challenge
Get introduced to the Discovery phase of the Double Diamond and the types of UX research it comprises. Prepare a research plan for your project.
- Research problem statements
- Considering the business and the customer
- Types of research: quantitative vs qualitative, formative vs summative
- Research techniques: Interviews, surveys, Heuristic evaluation, Contextual inquiry and Fly on the wall
- Competitor and data analysis
- Complete a project canvas for your design challenge
- Create your problem statement
- Build a research plan and conduct research
Collate your research data, prepare research artefacts and extract insights to define the problem space. Put the user at the centre of the design process and represent their needs using maps and profiles.
- Introduction to synthesis
- Affinity and empathy mapping
- Personas and customer journey mapping
- Create an Affinity Map and Empathy Map
- Develop a Persona
- Develop a Customer Journey Map (optional)
Define your design problem as an opportunity using a How Might We question. Learn about design principles which will help you ascend the next diamond and diverge into ideation.
- From defining to development
- Design principles
- “How Might We” questions
- Explore Adobe XD
- Develop a “How Might We?” question
Move from definition to development through ideation in order to arrive at a proposed solution – our Minimum Viable Product or MVP.
- Developing solutions through ideation
- Brainstorming and brainwriting
- Crazy 8s and Storyboards
- Minimum Viable Product in a UX context
- Conducting a brainstorm for your “How Might We?” question
- Complete a Crazy 8s activity
- Develop a storyboard
- Map your ideas into an MVP matrix
Start creating functional structures for your interface through a set of practical activities. Having reached the top point of the second Diamond, you can now converge on your deliverable, beginning with a low-fi wireframe.
- Information architecture (IA)
- From MVP to IA
- Card sorting
- User Flows and Interaction Design
- Intuitive User Interface (UI)
- Low-fidelity prototyping: Wireframes
- Complete a card sorting activity
- Design user flows
- Create a wireframe to express your structures and flows
The next 3 modules focus on designing the User Interface. Consider your hierarchy and conventions as you begin to build a high-fidelity prototype.
- Expanding in your wireframe with sketching
- Layouts and visual hierarchy
- Web conventions (iconography, footers, links)
- UI Analysis
- Sketch your UI (*optional)
- Start building your digital prototype
- Analyse a website
Learn about the elements of user interface design, both visual and content, as you work on your prototype.
- Applying style features to wireframes
- Typography, colour, imagery and iconography
- Content and UX copywriting
- Layouts using grids
- Develop a colour palette
- Continue to build on your digital prototype
Learn about inclusive and responsive design principles, as well as some of the overriding considerations UX designers must factor into their work.
- Inclusive & accessible design principles
- Accessible design framework
- Responsive & persuasive design
- Good & bad UI design
- Continue building your hi-fi digital prototype
- Find and upload examples of good and bad UI design
Put your prototype to test, collect user feedback and refine your concept based on the feedback you receive.
- Delivering prototypes
- Preparing for & conducting usability testing
- Plan and conduct user testing
- Refine your prototype based on the feedback you receive
Bring what you’ve learned throughout the course together, finalise your prototype and build your project presentation. Wrap up the course by presenting your concept to a mentor via a video recording.
- Finalise your prototype
- UX Presentations
- UX Portfolios
- Finalise your project and prepare your final project presentation
- Submit your project presentation deck
- Present your project and receive structured mentor feedback
Who this course is for
There are no prerequisites for this course. It is ideal for those looking to upskill in the field of UX UI Design, including:
- Anyone looking for a mentor-led course with in-depth coverage of UX Design and an introduction to UI Design
- Anyone looking for a practical online course where they can develop a project/portfolio to scheduled deadlines and in line with industry-standards
- Students who want the convenience and flexibility of online learning delivery, with the benefits of regular support in live video sessions
- Human-centred design practitioners wishing to specialise or upskill to UX and UI
Earn a digital credential
We partner with Acclaim by Credly to deliver digital credentials for our graduates. Digital credentials are a graphical representation of your skills, combined with a description of the knowledge and activities it took to earn them.
Digital badges can be used in email signatures or digital resumes, and on social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Our students work with the best
Our students' success stories
Academy Xi has a 4.2 score out of 5, rated by 2492 students.
“the best course I’ve ever done”
“I felt connected to Academy Xi’s vision”
I felt connected to Academy Xi’s vision and liked the small class approach. The instructor always thought for a student’s perspective and needs. If you like problem-solving and making a difference, UX is a good direction to take.