UI Design is a booming field with an expected market growth of 15.4% by 2022. This course is ideal if you’re curious about this in-demand discipline and want to quench your curiosity by learning its fundamentals.
Learn on your terms:
- Fully flexible and self-paced course
- Learn at your own pace, anytime, anywhere
- Browse material on our engaging learning platform
- Optional reading and activities to cement your learning
Packed with industry-relevant content:
- 30 hours of content and activities
- Dynamic and engaging content, full of rich media assets
- Premium material built in-house by experts
- Receive an industry-recognised Certificate of Completion
The best way to learn is by doing:
- Work on various activities throughout the course
- Create wireframes and prototypes using Figma, UXPin, Sketch, Adobe XD and InVision Studio
- Start building your portfolio
It will take you approximately 30 hours to complete the topics, activities, and portfolio project preparation.
What you'll learn
Familiarise yourself with the background, core concepts, terminology, and applications of UI Design. Learn about wireframes and prototypes, key UI software, moodboards, and go through the requirements of a client brief. You’ll also be introduced to your design challenges which will form the basis of your portfolio project.
Understand what good UI Design looks like thanks to visual hierarchy, grids and other key layout components. Here, you’ll learn about:
- Visual hierarchy, proximity, and repetition
- Grids and alignment
Uncover the secrets behind colour theory and learn how to pick the best colours to create designs that grab attention and generate emotion. Apply a colour palette to your project.
- Colour theory
- Choosing a colour palette
- Applying colours to a project
Learn about typography and how to use one or more typefaces. Understand the importance and benefits of spacing, padding, margins, and discover how to work with uppercase, lowercase text, and text-heavy pages.
- Introduction to typography
- Applying typography to a project
Discover the importance of imagery and iconography in UI Design, and how images are not only for aesthetics but can help users navigate a website or app more seamlessly.
Identify how certain web conventions such as contrast, alignment, and other aspects influence how users experience the design. Understand the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) requirements and how to design for inclusion. Explore how to take your design across multiple platforms such as desktop and mobile.
- Web conventions
- Call to action and buttons
- Accessibility and UI Design
- Responsive design
Understand what typical brand guidelines consist of and how to follow a brand or content style guide.
- Applying existing brand guidelines
- Creating pattern libraries
- Creating a style guide
- Learn about the importance of portfolios for UI Designers, how to create one and how to showcase your work and process in a beautiful and convincing way.
- Learn how to communicate your design narrative and approach, interpret client’s feedback and improve your design solution based on it.
- Curate your final artefacts from the course activities to demonstrate your UI Design knowledge and skills. Your mentor will review it and provide structured feedback.
Explore the exciting future and possibilities of UI Design and work on finalising your portfolio project. You’ll cover:
- Interaction design
- The future of UI Design
- Professional tips
- Preparing your portfolio
- What’s your next step?
Who this course is for
There are no prerequisites required for this course. It is ideal for:
- Students who want to learn the basics of UI Design concepts, frameworks and tools.
- Students interested in a fully flexible short-course, where they can learn independently and at their own pace.
Earn a digital credential
We partner with Acclaim by Credly to deliver digital credentials for our graduates. Digital credentials are a graphical representation of your skills, combined with a description of the knowledge and activities it took to earn them.
Digital badges can be used in email signatures or digital resumes, and on social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Our students' success stories
Academy Xi has a 4.2 score out of 5, rated by 2521 students.
“gave me the flexibility to complete the course when and where it suited me”
I found the online course with Academy Xi easy to access both on my laptop, iPad and Google Pixel. This gave me the flexibility to complete the course when and where it suited me. I really enjoyed the quality of the content, videos tutorials were relevant and engaging. I walked away with new skills that will help my professional development.
“Academy Xi have exceeded my expectations”
Our instructor was awesome and incredibly insightful. The information and the way it's laid out for us is done super well. The most valuable for me was the staff and the community in general. I've taken a few online courses which were super disappointing but Academy Xi have exceeded my expectations... and some. I feel so confident about the skills I'll be leaving with.