Graphic Design Elevate was the perfect short graphic design course for me! I was taught a combination of practical and theory-based skills, which helped me gain more of a holistic confidence toward my passion. The blended learning mode (self-paced modules with weekly interactive classes) suited my work schedule perfectly and I felt it was a very balanced commitment.
Contact us to discuss discounts and flexible payment options
24 weeks, part-time
71% of companies are trying to beat their competitors using design, creating 10x more assets than previous years¹, meaning graphic designers are in steady demand globally.
Built, taught and approved by industry experts, this career-focussed Graphic Design course will help you break into this creative industry.
- Get 24 weeks access to our proven Career Support Program which helps over 90% of graduates straight into industry
Learn industry-relevant content:
- Learn graphic design fundamentals
- Use industry-standard Adobe Creative Cloud software (including newer apps beyond Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign)
- Manipulate both static and motion graphics
Gain the practical experience employers look for:
- Practice the end-to-end design process with weekly activities
- Forget case studies: work on two real, live client projects
- Manage stakeholders and deadlines, just like in a real job
Showcase your skills:
- Build a stand-out professional portfolio
- Earn an industry-recognised digital certification
A highly supported experience:
- Attend weekly live video sessions with mentor and classmates
- Book 1:1 sessions with your mentor for personalised support
¹ Adobe, 2021
97% job placement success
- Throughout this course, you’ll need to use Adobe Creative Cloud. Please refer to Adobe’s subscription price, which is not included in our course fees
- The Creative Cloud desktop app has the requirements for Windows and Mac operating systems, check the system requirements
- Tablet with stylus. Recommended: Wacom/iPad
This course takes approximately 360 hours over 24 weeks.
This time frame includes getting through the learning materials, attending live video sessions, participating in 1:1 mentoring sessions, completing the course projects and activities, developing your portfolio, and communicating with your peers and mentor.
What you'll learn
The software you’ll get to grips with includes:
Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Dimension, After Effects, Animate, Premiere Pro, Portfolio, Experience Design), Procreate, Figma, Mailchimp, Trello and Padlet.
Develop a foundational understanding of Graphic Design, focusing on essential design theory, the history of the field and examples of contemporary work.
- A brief history of Graphic Design
- Point, line, plane & gesture
- Balance, scale & texture
- Colour theory
- Layout & hierarchy
- Quizzes covering design theory
- Written analysis of a Graphic Design work
Understand the specifications used for print assets and receive an introduction to the specific uses that different digital outputs offer. You’ll package a design and prepare it for a digital handover.
- All things print
- Print production
- Building a Bitmap band poster
- Supplying files to production
- All things digital
- Package a digital design for a commercial printer
- Prepare a professional digital handover with the correct sizing and file types
Understand the core elements of visual design and how to package finished content. Use InDesign and a digital asset folder containing images, illustrations and vector shapes to create a series of deliverables.
- Introduction to InDesign
- Layout & linked images
- Experimenting with images & type
- Character & paragraph styles
- Numbering, bullet points & special characters
- Packaging & exporting
- Create a small zine with the assets provided
Develop a range of Illustrator skills and create a number of customised vector assets for your own brand, using typeface, colour palette and treatment.
- Introduction to Illustrator
- Strokes, fills, pen tool & colour swatches
- Shape builder & pattern tools
- Branding & moodboards
- Pictorial logos
- Typographic logos
- Font pairing & business cards
- Creating templates for slides & documents
- Practice developing branded designs
- Create your own brand logo
Get introduced to Photoshop and Procreate, and create your own digital illustrations. Learn drawing fundamentals, how to use digital brushes and even produce a short animation.
- Introduction to Photoshop for digital illustration
- Fundamentals of drawing (pen & paper)
- Figure, ground, object, & perspective
- Importing images & using layers in Photoshop
- Using brushes & textures in Illustrator via WACOM tablet
- Introduction to Procreate – colours, brushes & layers
- Exporting and saving digital work
- Create a series of digital illustrations and a short animation
Continue working with Photoshop to develop photo editing and photo image transformation skills. You’ll also create digital mockups in Photoshop and Adobe Dimension.
- Introduction to Photoshop for photo manipulation
- Basic editing tools for curves, levels & adjustments
- Stock Images
- Deep etching
- Photoshop actions
- Layer styles
- Digital mockups & smart objects
- Using Adobe Dimension for mockups
- Introduction to Adobe Portfolio
- Produce a series of edited photos and digital mockups
Build web design mockups and prototypes using XD and Figma, get introduced to the UX process, HTML, CSS editing and creating automated emails with Mailchimp.
- Introduction to web design
- Defining the brief
- Project planning
- UX research
- UX reporting
- Wireframes & prototyping
- Mockups and mailouts
- Design a website mockup, experiment with code and create content for an original email campaign
Bring your designs to life by developing your After Effects and Animate skills, and use 2D assets to produce a series of short animations.
- Introduction to Adobe After Effects
- Tools, dialogue windows, pages & margins
- Layout, linked image placement & puppet tool
- 3D & cameras
- Introduction Adobe Animate
- Packaging & exporting
- Create a short 2D animation
Continue developing your After Effects skills, use Premiere Pro to create motion graphics with real footage, and produce a video composition with illustrative and animated elements.
- Importing footage
- Pinning graphic content to footage
- Introduction to Adobe Premiere Pro
- Adding graphic elements
- Refining movement
- Tips & shortcuts
- Produce a short video composition with illustrative and animated elements
Learn how to effectively work in a design team by delivering a group project using web-based collaborative software, including Trello and Padlet.
- Project management & collaboration
- Writing your own project briefs
- Setting client expectations & project planning
- Using Trello
- Client invoicing
- Project brainstorming with peers
- Using Padlet
- Version control & shared digital spaces
- Deliver a multimedia group project
Get prepared to run your own small business by understanding graphic licensing, how to set up a functional workspace and the requirements of being a sole trader.
- Starting your own design business
- Base attributes
- Setting up your studio space
- Equipment essentials
- Administrative tasks
- Finding work
- Design systems
- Design documents
- Produce a variety of print assets for your brand, including business cards, invoices and quotes
- Quiz covering small business needs
Curate the material you’ve produced throughout the course in Adobe Portfolio. Produce a slide deck showcasing your content highlights and present it to your peers.
- Setting up an Adobe Portfolio page
- Reviewing your work
- Writing a story for each project
- Choosing the best images
- Creating an ‘about me page’
- Reviewing layouts on desktop & mobile
- Finalising your brand suite
- Finalising your slide deck for presentation
- Pick six highlights of your practical work and display them in an online portfolio
- Add any pre-existing personal projects to your portfolio
- Finalise your slide deck and present it to the cohort.
Live client projects
Work in groups to solve Graphic Design challenges for two real, live clients, applying your new-found skills and building your portfolio. Both client projects require you to:
- Consult with clients to understand their specifications and goals
- Produce designs that align with specific outcomes
- Present your design solutions back to the clients
Career support program
Once you’ve completed your client projects, it’s all about securing that dream job. You’ll have the skills and practical experience, and all that’s left is to craft your career narrative. Receive comprehensive career guidance for 24 weeks and undertake activities including:
- Finesse: Add polish to your portfolio, CV and LinkedIn profile
- Practice: Hone your soft skills, such as interview and presentation techniques
- Search: Build your Graphic Design network and apply for your dream roles
After graduating, you can apply for a range of jobs such as:
- Graphic Designer
- Junior Graphic Designer
- Visual Designer
- Digital Designer
- Freelance, self-employed or contractor Graphic Designer
Who this course is for
There are no prerequisites for this course. It is ideal for:
- Anyone seeking a career as a professional Graphic Designer
- Junior designers wanting to upskill with the Adobe suite and climb the industry ladder
- Designers keen to upskill from traditional visual media to digital asset creation
- Anyone seeking a career as a self-employed, freelance or contractor Graphic Designer
- Educators wanting to teach advanced digital design skills
Earn a digital credential
We partner with Credly to deliver digital credentials for our graduates. Digital credentials are a graphical representation of your skills, combined with a description of the knowledge and activities it took to earn them.
Digital badges can be used in email signatures or digital resumes, and on social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
For more info, click here.
Our students' success stories
Academy Xi scored 5 out of 5, as rated by our students.
“A combination of practical and theory-based skills, which helped me gain more of a holistic confidence toward my passion.”
“no amount of searching on Youtube for ‘how-to’ videos could compare to a well-structured course”
After finishing the Graphic Design Elevate course in 2020, I left with a newfound sense of confidence in my design skills. While I had a base level of skill using the Adobe Creative Suite, no amount of searching on Youtube for ‘how-to’ videos could compare to a well-structured course. Our course mentor was excellent and was able to share unique insights about working in the industry and how to get started as a freelancer. With my new skills, I’m able to take my digital art side hustle to a whole new level.
“Academy Xi was instrumental in securing my dream role”
Academy Xi was instrumental in securing my dream role, so a big thank you to my instructor and my teammates! This course will expand your portfolio, your network and expose you to some amazing like-minded people. Be collaborative, inquisitive, open about your passions and you will get a lot out of studying with Xi.