12 weeks, part-time
In the 2020-21 financial year alone, over 67,000 cyber crime reports were received by the Australian Cyber Security Centre, with reported losses totaling more than $33 billion AUD. With a 20% projected job growth nationwide by 2025, Cyber Security knowledge and skills are in high-demand.
Academy Xi’s Introduction to Cyber Security: Elevate will empower you with cyber security essentials, including how to analyse hacker methods, mitigate risk, stop attacks and test an organisation, process, or tool to understand how it can be exploited.
With curriculum created by Flatiron School – a leading New York based tech education provider – in consultation with the industry, this course contains current, relevant content and is delivered by our expert Australia-based educators with years of Cyber Security experience.
Why study this course with us?
Industry relevant content
- Premium course content co-created with industry experts
- 96+ hours of learning in 12 weeks
- Learn how to analyse hacker activity to inform strategy design and how to apply security controls.
- Develop a security mindset that allows you to critically assess data, processes and tools for vulnerabilities
- Learn cyber security essentials including network and system architecture, governance, risk, compliance and cyber threat intelligence
A highly supported experience
- Stay on track with fixed deadlines, while enjoying some flexibility in how you pace your weekly activities
- Mentor-led live video sessions held weekly to facilitate classroom discussion and bring the content to life
- Unlimited 1:1 mentor support, available on demand
- Entire teams dedicated to your support and successful progression through the course
A social and collaborative learning environment
- Cohort based: go through the course at the same pace as all other students
- Collaborate with your classmates on current topics and research tasks, grow together and make lifelong friends.
Earn trusted and recognised credentials
- On completion of this course, you can add an industry trusted digital credential to your LinkedIn profiles.
What you'll learn
Establish a basic understanding of the components that make up computer systems and networks, where you will begin your training in the cyber security space.
- Learn about Windows infrastructure and architecture
- Identify and define how networks are built and further detail about their primary components
Discover the fundamentals and importance of organisational governance, risk and compliance in the context of ICT management, delivery and security.
- Learn about Standards and Best Practice
- Privacy Terms and Conditions
- Discover how to create Business Continuity Plans
- Explore Security Responsibility in organisations
- Prepare an Incident Response Plan and Security Plan
Explore behind the scenes of hacker intention and action, in the context of gathering intelligence to inform and steer business and cyber security strategy planning, along with skills and methods to be applied to counteract an attack.
- Examine how quality strategy informs cyber security processes
- Define, explain & apply Operational Design to security strategy
- Understand hacker goals & intentions in context of planning
- Cyber Criminals & Threat Models
- Review different varieties of cyber criminal activity & groups
- Understand the phases of the Cyber Kill Chain
- Apply the Cyber Kill Chain to real & hypothetical attacks
- Understand the Diamond Model
- Intelligence Cycle
- Learn the phases of the cycle & application to cyber security
- Review skills applied in Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI)
- Determine threat courses of action
- Social Engineering (SE)
- Review the dangers posed by SE to information & security
- Examine current methodologies, tools & countermeasures
- Apply basic security controls to different scenarios
Throughout the course, you’ll regularly consolidate your learning by creating referenced research reports and completing tasks. This will not only reaffirm the concepts and practices you will learn about week to week, but also demonstrate to current or future employers the depth of your knowledge around current key concepts.
Example report and task topics include:
- Examples and importance of Information security governance documents
- Governance risk and compliance article review & organisation security implications
- What are the advantages of applying an Enterprise Architecture (EA) framework to an organisation?
Who this course is for
If you are detail-oriented, interested in complex problem solving and have an interest in tech and IT security, the Introduction to Cyber Security: Elevate is an ideal training choice.
This course has no prerequisites and is ideal for anyone looking to develop a cyber security mindset, including but not limited to:
- Individuals who are interested in gaining a solid foundation in cyber security, with a view to further study down the line
- Tech team managers and leaders wanting a practical and comprehensive insight into the cyber security space
- IT staff keen to learn about cyber security governance and best practice
- Individuals curious as to whether they can find a place in the cyber security job ecosystem and wanting to test the waters.
Your course takes approximately 96 hours over 12 weeks. This includes absorbing the learning materials, attending live sessions, participating in 1:1 mentoring sessions, completing the course activities, working on your research reports and communicating with your peers and mentor.
Our students' success stories
Academy Xi has a 5 score out of 5, rated by 0 students.
“Exactly what I needed”
Always friendly and welcoming! The community at Academy Xi and the environment they create for learning and expanding your horizons is exactly what is needed when you are looking to gain new skills. For me the courses were an adventure and investment in my development I'll always value and have gained immensely from.
Earn a digital credential
We partner with Credly to deliver digital credentials for our graduates. Digital credentials are a graphical representation of your skills, combined with a description of the knowledge and activities it took to earn them.
Digital badges can be used in email signatures or digital resumes, and on social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.