Creating a User Persona (Free Templates)
Creating a User Persona
The start of the User Experience (UX) Design process involves user research. It’s the process of data collection that provides an in-depth, holistic view of your user’s motivations, behaviours, and ways of interacting with your product.
A UX Designer will always rely on user research that can be compiled from a combination of one-on-one interviews, card sorting, surveys or personas.
Arguably, user research is the most important component of UX Design; the user research phase is vital in crafting delightful customer experiences that are user-friendly and human-centric.
One method of user research is the creation of a user persona.
A user persona is:
- An archetype or a fictional representation of people researched
- A group of people with similar traits represented as a single person
- A personified expression of a noticeable trend
The Value of User Personas
By crafting the right user persona, you can visualise exactly what visitors are doing on your website. This gives a greater understanding of users and provides more insight than a survey for example.
Personas help drive design and feature decisions, and their benefit can be summarised as:
- Helping identify a user’s needs
- Highlighting a customer’s desires
- Focusing on your audience’s challenges
- Creating a User Persona
There are two types of personas; lean (proto) and detailed. Proto-personas engage stakeholders and efficiently communicate a user’s story. Detailed personas are becoming less and less common as they require significant validation and take longer to develop than a proto-persona.
Simplified steps to creating a user persona:
- Compile data and insights from your research
- Group your findings into a spreadsheet or create an Affinity Map
- Identify behavioural traits and the demographics of your users to understand how they interact with your product
Have a go at creating your own persona. Download template here.
Developing UX artefacts and conducting user research is a fundamental UX Design principle ensuring UX Designers are better placed to remove any assumptions and biases, validate a problem statement, and thoroughly test a hypothesis. Detailed user personas remind UX Designers to keep their user at the centre of their work.
Get hands-on and learn how to create a user persona and more. Launch your career in UX Design today.