12 weeks, part-time
Having React in your tech stack is vital if you want to be in-demand.
With curriculum created by Flatiron School – a leading New York based tech education provider – in consultation with the industry, this course is delivered by our expert Australia-based educators with years of web development experience.
Why study this course with us?
Industry relevant content:
- Premium course content co-created with industry experts so you’ll learn the latest skills that employers want
- 80-100 hours of learning over 12 weeks
- Gain component-based web app development skills using React
Hands-on practical coding skills:
- Spend close to 80% of your time coding, working through cumulative labs, quizzes and projects
- Walk away with two React projects to add to your GitHub profile
- Design complex web apps using React, Redux and Test Driven Development principles
- Apply your new React skill set to your existing job or to your own projects right away
A highly supported experience:
- Mentor-led live video sessions twice a week to facilitate classroom discussions, unpick projects and bring the content to life
- Two 1:1 sessions with your mentor for tailored support, available on demand
- Stay on track with fixed deadlines, while enjoying some flexibility in how you pace your weekly activities
- Entire teams dedicated to your support and progression through the course
A social and collaborative learning environment:
- Cohort based: go through the course at the same pace as all other students
- Collaborate with your classmates on labs and projects, grow together and expand your network
Earn trusted and recognised credentials:
- On completion of this course, you can add an industry trusted digital credential to your LinkedIn profile
Your course takes approximately 80-100 hours over 12 weeks. This includes absorbing the learning materials, attending live sessions, participating in 1:1 mentoring sessions, completing the course activities, working on your assessment projects, and communicating with peers and your mentor.
What you'll learn
Become familiar with the essentials of User Interface development using the React open source library.
- Understand the relationship between components and props
- State and Events: objects and actions within components
- Explore inputting and submitting data into components using Forms
- Discover potential side effects when building components
- Data Fetching in React
- Navigating component views with React Router
Understand the importance of Test Driven Development when using React to create web apps with hands-on application of methods to test components.
- TDD Principles
- The TDD Cycle
- Types of tests
- Writing Unit Tests with Jest
- Introduction to Jest
- Explore Mocks and Spies
- Testing React Components
- UI Testing
- Using the React Testing Library
- API Mocking
Create your first React component project, based on a set of deliverables.
- Build React components using elements including State, Events and Forms
- Follow TDD principles to establish which tests to apply
- Use the React Testing Library to test your components
- Host the final outcome on your GitHub profile
- Redux Core Concepts
- Pure functions
- Using the Redux Library
- Store the return values with useSelector
- Dispatch any action to the store with useDispatch
- Gather results into a single state with the combineReducers function
- Advanced Redux: Asynchronous/Thunk
- Redux Toolkit
- Redux Practice
- Exercises to reinforce core concepts
Bring your new skills together and create a functioning, custom web application based on a set of deliverables using both React and Redux for your final project.
- Build and host an application using React, Redux and TDD
- Present your final project and receive feedback
- Graduation and looking ahead
Who this course is for
This course is ideal for anyone looking to gain practical web programming skills, including but not limited to:
- Graduates of Academy Xi training: Front-End Web Development and Software Engineering Alumni
- Existing Front-End Web Developers, Software Engineers and IT professionals looking to upskill with web application programming using React
- You’ll need to complete a short admissions test to confirm your enrolment, and may be asked to provide evidence of a relevant qualification/certification or a working front-end website/application.
Our students' success stories
Academy Xi scored 5 out of 5, as rated by our students.
“Exactly what I needed”
Always friendly and welcoming! The community at Academy Xi and the environment they create for learning and expanding your horizons is exactly what is needed when you are looking to gain new skills. For me the courses were an adventure and investment in my development I'll always value and have gained immensely from.
“The course structure was the main reason I chose Xi - mixing theory in a clear succinct fashion, continuous practical application of project work and ongoing collaboration with our classmates and mentors”
The course structure was the main reason I chose Xi - mixing theory in a clear succinct fashion, continuous practical application of project work and ongoing collaboration with our classmates and mentors. The fact that we move through the entire end to end design process in a rapid yet structured fashion with weekly outputs was a huge bonus. It allowed me to clearly see the evolution of my project overtime before the final showcase.
Earn a digital credential
We partner with Credly to deliver digital credentials for our graduates. Digital credentials are a graphical representation of your skills, combined with a description of the knowledge and activities it took to earn them.
Digital badges can be used in email signatures or digital resumes, and on social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.