Academy Xi’s new Service Design Online Intermediate course is a professional development course that can boost your career, salary or job responsibilities with in-demand skills, in just 10 weeks.
You’ll delve into the core concepts, techniques, tools and mindset required to look holistically at a service experience; map out all front stage and backstage aspects of it; and design high-quality services that align to both customers and business’ needs.
As the best way to learn is by doing, you’ll gain practical experience by working on various activities and completing an end-to-end service design challenge.
You’ll build your portfolio, in line with industry-standards, offering tangible evidence of your approach, problem solving skills and overall service design expertise to current or future employers.
Never feel like you’re studying alone. As this course is class-based, you start the course and go through the topics at the same pace as all other students. Through fortnightly live sessions, private “on-demand” consultations with your mentor, and regular opportunities to interact with your classmates, this is a socially-connected and interactive online learning environment that will help you stay on track, motivated and progress faster.
Why learn Service Design
In today’s saturated marketplace, providing an amazing customer experience is critical to build brand differentiation, loyalty, and long-term business value. Market researchers at Harris Interactive found that 86% of customers are willing to pay more in exchange for a better customer experience.
With such an impact on business value, it’s no surprise that companies across all industries are actively looking for people with service design skills to create innovative brand experiences, strengthen their point of difference, and delight their customers with a positive lasting impression.
This course is for you if you want to complement your existing professional expertise and boost your career with in-demand skills in design thinking and human-centred processes applied to service improvements and new services design.
By understanding how services are created, delivered, and experienced, you’ll bring a fresh, empathetic, and human-centred perspectives to your business problems, thus building greater market relevance and stronger brand loyalty.
Why study with us online?
Earn a digital credential and an industry-recognised certificate
Boost your CV or LinkedIn profile with tangible evidence of your expertise.
Our courses are created exclusively in-house by learning designers, with inputs from industry experts, recruiters and students.
Taught by leading industry practitioners
We hand-pick our instructors to guarantee their in-depth experience, both in the field and in the online classroom.
Highly practical online learning experience
Learn by doing
Implement your skills by working on practical activities throughout each topic.
Build your portfolio
Demonstrate your problem-solving skills, approach, and outcomes to current or future employers.
Highly supported online learning experience
Start the course and go through the topics at the same pace as all other students to connect and work collaboratively on activities.
Fortnightly live sessions with Q&A
Access exclusive live content, unpick design challenges with your mentor and classmates, and listen to live presentations from industry experts.
Book 1:1 sessions* with your mentor to seek clarity and receive personalised feedback.
*Limit of two consultations per student
Gain access to our alumni-exclusive events, Facebook group and Slack channel with job offers, career guidance and networking opportunities. Receive discounts on your future courses and a $500 credit when you refer a friend.
Who this course is for
There are no prerequisites to enrol. We welcome students from all levels and professional backgrounds.
Our Service Design Online Intermediate course is ideal for:
- Anyone looking for a mentor-led professional development course with in-depth coverage of service design
- Human-centred design practitioners wishing to specialise or upskill to service design
- A range of learners seeking to introduce service design to their professional practice and context
- Anyone looking for a practical online course where they can develop a service design project, delivered to scheduled deadlines and in line with industry-standards
- Working professionals who want to enrich their career and experience with in-demand skills
- Anyone looking to increase their salary, job opportunities, or job responsibilities in the field of service design
What you’ll learn
- Week 1 Introduction to service design
- Week 2 Exploring the problem space
- Week 3 Design research
- Week 4 Synthesis
- Week 5 Synthesis (continued)
- Week 6 Creative action
- Week 7 Facilitating co-creation sessions
- Week 8 Prototyping and testing
- Week 9 Preparing a service design case study, portfolio and presentation
- Week 10 Your future in service design
By the end of this Service Design Online Intermediate course, you will:
- Gain a holistic, end-to-end understanding of service design principles and methodology
- Plan, conduct and analyse research
- Apply a toolkit of techniques to create business value through implementing human-centred practices
- Apply strategic thinking models, canvasses and strategies to services
- Design and deliver rapid service prototypes
- Complete a case study to build your portfolio
- Communicate and present the value of service design solutions